Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:45:47 -0500
From: glenn brown <g_010...@hotmail.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] $3.99 Mobil One, addendum

Guys,
 I recently purchased an '85 300TD from my brother and this car had been
 previously diagnosed with valve stem seals which need replacing as
there's considerable oil smoke after startup from cold but disappears
after ~ 5 min. of running.  Since I seem to recall the honorable Dr.
Booth indicating that synthetic oils tend to swell seals more than
conventional/dino oils, I thought I'd try synthetic oil in the TD for a
couple oils changes to see if this improves things before I seriously
consider trying to replace the valve stem seals.  Since I've only got a
few hundred miles on the first synthetic oil change in the TD and the
"offer" at Advance would be just too good to pass up, I thought I'd
purchase some of the Mobil 1 5W-40 diesel truck oil ahead of time for
the next oil change but the Advance Auto Parts store employee indicated
that this oil is not on sale and I tried the purchase on the Net
approach, where someone has indicated that the discount would show up in
 the "cart" electronically . . . Note: this does not occur.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC