From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Ralph W
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:07 PM
To: Mercedes List
Subject: [MBZ] Violent shudder

Hello All,

Sorry for the long absence from the list. I haven't had much time for the
diesel fleet the last few years due to extended overseas work assignments. I
also moved recently and had to clear out the parts cars.

Things are back to normal now and I have started driving the old coupe again
('83 300CD). The car has developed a very violent shudder when accelerating
between 5 to 20 mph under a reasonable load. Above 20 mph everything is
smooth again. If I accelerate very slowly the shudder is also not
noticeable. It feels as if something is banging in the area of the center
console. The vehicle is currently at my Indy for a new exhaust system. That
has been installed and can be ruled out. The drive line was also overhauled
about 50k ago with the flex discs and driveshaft hanger bearing replaced.
Indy also put the vehicle up in the air and accelerated the engine and could
not reproduce the shudder so the engine has to be under load. The engine
mounts do not seem to be in too bad of shape but haven't been ruled out as
the cause. Indy has had numerous friends check the car out as they visit and
nobody has come up with a clearcut solution yet. Vehicle was also driven in
reverse at a fairly high speed without experiencing the condition.

Has anyone experienced this condition before? We are hoping to pinpoint the
cause before randomly starting to replace components. It's almost x-mas and
I'm trying to keep the finances in control.

Thanks in advance.

--
Ralph Wasserbaech
2001 E320 wagon