Curt Raymond wrote:
When did the 116 actually start? I know the diesels were only '79 and '80...

1972 elsewhere, 1973 here.
I once drove way too far to look at three 1972 SEs and SELs. Turned out to be a W108 long, a W108 short, and a W114. Could have had all three for $500-600, and they were basically complete. Unfortunately, I needed W116 parts, and didn't have time/space to deal with those then. I knew that W116 started in 1972, but didn't know that MBUSA didn't sell W116s in 1972. The 108s were both 4.5s IIRC, the 114 was six, I think with carbs. The seller was surprised when I pointed out that one of them was not S-classe.

Mitch.