The highest resolution AVI format is best.  I would also find a reputable
transfer service that does frame by frame conversion and color correction.
You'll pay more for someone who can do this, but the results are far superior.
I used to have access to the equipment to do this at a local university, and
the street price for it was around $0.15-$0.20/foot with "silent" film (no
sound), a fixed setup fee for the conversion, and a fee for the DVD processing.
 People griped about the cost, but when you consider it's a one-time thing and
the sentimental/archival value of the media it ends up being cheap, relatively
speaking.

Once you get it on a DVD you can pretty much play with it on any platform.

My preferred platform/application is Mac and Final Cut Pro, but that's probably
a bit above the average user.  You can do spectacular things with a Mac and
iMovie these days.

Dan