Hans Neureiter wrote:
Since the valve adjustment job is fairly easy but a PITA, why not adust the
valves a bit looser than specs, i.e. .005"/.015" instead of .003"/.013".
This would throw the timing off a hair, open a little later and close a bit
sooner. But will it be significant enough to notice?
The benefit being longer intervalls between needed adjustments since they
always tend to tighten up.

A well maintained engine lubricated with good oil that's changed as required, will not need adjustment very often, but they still need to be checked before each cold season to insure flawless cold starting. The process is far from linear and often changes quite suddenly! Once you have become "one with your car," you may be able to tell that the valves need adjustment from the sound, but I was never able to count on that even after 20+ years of trying. Increasing valve clearance will make them noisier, increase wear (at least a little) and the engine won't run as well. Tight valves quiets the engine, but results in slow/no cold starting, poor running when cold and excessive valve wear/damage.

Valves can tighten (usually intakes) with wear (and that prevents cold starting) and they can also loosen (usually exhausts) and that makes the engine noisier, but neither of those results are exclusive - so they really must be checked every 15kmi or so and adjusted if they are out of specification.

It's been reported (rather frequently) that the use of Mobil synthetics will reduce the need for valve adjustment (but I don't know why that might be). I KNOW it reduces timing chain wear (I've measured that) by about half and I understand why, but I can't figure out why it would reduce the need to adjust valves.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi