Three things, really, I would guess -- reduced wear on cam follower and adjuster nut (also reduced wear on the cam lobe, but that won't affect clearance), reduced wear on guides (and hence better seating and reduced wear on seat), and less ash in the combustion chamber since there is less consumption and less zinc stearate in the oil (I think, not sure on the last one).

I've not run Mobil 1 in a 61x engine long enough to need to do a valve adjust yet (will be checking my brother's 300D this weekend or next), but on the Volvo, only a couple valves were out of spec after 50,000 miles.

Peter