Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:44:55 -0600
From: Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] cheap hauling

> Curt Raymond wrote:

> The only thing standing in the way right now is that the car
> isn't wired for lights, does anybody know of a source for the
> wiring kit? Autozone was flummoxed. My Ranger came wired for
> them but on the Dakota I bought a little kit that plugged
> inline with the taillights.

Unless your trailer is wired for separate brake/turn-signal
(most are not), you will need an adapter device 'cause I'm
guessing your car does have them separate.

The devices is probably just a couple diodes, but I haven't
really looked into it.

That and some 14 or 16 AWG wire, some heatshrink tubing, and a
soldering iron and you could be wired in an hour.

If you stuff a bunch of grease into the tubing before assembly
and shrinking, you get a quite waterproof joint.  Did that on a
trailer about 15 years ago.  Though its been stored outside for
the whole time, the wiring is still fine.

--        Philip