In North Carolina, the no-texting law was intentionally designed to
only ban forms of written communication - text messages, e-mail,
instant messages - where there was a recipient on the other end.  It
is discussed in the law that it allows other forms of typing that do
not have a communicative aspect; GPS and searching for a phone number
are mentioned, but I would speculate that camera, music, etc. would
also be legal for drivers over 18.

Our law does specifically say "mobile telephone" so I guess if you
have an e-mail device that does not have a phone on it then you are
golden - where are you, Palm?  But if you try that and get busted you
are on your own. :)

Definitely all this only applies in NC; I know some states have much
stricter laws, though I don't travel enough to say which.

-Tim
who did not type this while driving past Wilton's house