Looking back, it was sort of an interesting dichotomy.  My parents were very
open-minded on the surface, but I can also recall my father making remarks
"behind the veil" that might be considered inappropriate today.

That being said, his actions were those of someone who treated fellow humans
with respect regardless of color or race.  I never saw him do anything that
would indicate he was prejudiced towards anyone.

It has been my experience that one's socio-economic status and upbringing have
a great deal to do with their perception of race and prejudice.

I can recall witnessing cross burnings several times as a kid and teenager.  I
never understood what was going on...

Dan