Gerry Archer wrote:
Volkswagen's amazing 300mpg-plus XL1 two-seater diesel/electric hybrid is a supercar where mpg matters more than mph.

I want one.

I'd like to make get a kit car replica of something old but reasonably aerodynamic, like a Miura or GT40. Or maybe I'll buy the next $1500 Bradley GT I see. Put a brushless motor at each wheel, and power it with a 15-20hp lawnmower diesel running a generator, and enough battery or capacitor to give you at least 100 usable horsepower-minutes of storage.
Should hit 125 mpg as easily as a two seat Honda Insight gets 80 mpg.

Mitch.