> > > Rick Knoble wrote:
> > >
> > > I was driving the car when the brakes failed (rears) and it
> > > was still quite drivable, with no unpleasant feelings of not
> > > being able to stop. I have Akebonos with new rotors on the
> > > front, maybe that helps.

> > Allen wrote:
> >
> > Wow
> > that's quite a different experience than I had when I was
> > driving an '87 Toyota pickup when a rusted rear brake line
> > blew out.  Pedal went to the floor, luckily I got some braking
> > action at the very bottom of the travel but it was definitely
> > quite unpleasant.

> Curt Raymond wrote:
>
> Allen's experience is what I would expect from a brake line
> failure. ... in all cases the pedal went nearly to
> the floor and all braking ability was in the last say 1/4" of
> pedal throw.

Which means it works!

Pump the pedal.  That is, take your foot off and step on it
again.  The two circuits are separate, but do have a pressure
balancing function.  So if one fails with a very low
resistance (big hole) the other side will require more fluid
volume than typical.  The second or third step on the pedal
should be plenty.

I have mucked about with old cars long enough I have
encountered a number of brake system failures.  The only truly
exciting one was the '62 (I think) Dodge with a single
circuit.  I drove it home with electrical tape over the
hole.  I didn't touch the brake pedal until I pulled into the
driveway.  The tape didn't do much, other than make me feel a
little better when I was driving.

Trust me - the two circuit system is much better. :)

--     Philip