I turned many a bolt and screw on B-47E aircraft. 'Never used a torque wrench. Maybe I was just lucky on that point, or maybe I just never heard about the mess I left behind when I went off to be an "ocifer"and fly B-52's.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] SDL Oil Pan, now heads falling off

Good! If you only end up with one 6mm bolt broken off, I would suggest that it won't have a big impact if you leave it that way.

As for torque. you really don't need a torque wrench for 6mm bolts. If you put your thumb around the rachet and tighten the bolt as tight as you can with your thumb in that position, you can't over torque a 6mm DIN bolt. It will be 20-25 ft-lb. I would never use a torque wrench on 6mm or smaller bolts.

Thanks for the optimism Don. :>

Last night I took Max's kick-in-the-pants and spun the front one
mostly out with a punch; it had enough resistance on the broken nub of
the bolt to spin it, and the bolt was about flush with the bottom edge
of the pan before I was interrupted by Scouts.  I anticipate no
problem getting that one out.  I am expecting (hoping?) that the same
thing works on the back one, and I can replace bolts, check everything
one last time, and fill with oil this evening.

Thanks all,
-Tim
a little excited at the prospect of all three cars running at the same time