Dieselvolk,

My '87 300TD has a valve tick that I want to fix.  I'd appreciate thoughts and
input on what the problem is and how to fix it.

History:  I've only used Mobil 1 oil since purchasing the car about 50k miles
ago, when it had about 284k miles  It now has 334k miles.  About 3 years ago
(~20k miles ago) the tick developed after a 450 mile travel day, during which
the car ran very hot but did not overheat, due to a long stop-n-go traffic jam
on the freeway.  Car had increased oil consumption during the trip (used about
1
qt in 500 miles, normally only uses 1 qt per 2000 miles), and the noise began
the next morning upon first start.

After fussing over the noise for a few days but not really doing anything other
than add oil and determine that the noise originates from either the #2 or #3
cylinder valves in the head, the noise largely went away on its own.

After that episode, the noise would occasionally come back if the car was
exposed to cold weather (i.e. around freezing or lower), but once it was driven
the noise would reduce to the point that I really had to listen hard, generally
with the hood up, to see if it was still ticking.

I tried testing the lifters (hydraulic valve clearance compensating elements)
in
accordance with the book, and they passed, but that was at a time when the
lifter tick noise was reduced.

The current engine oil is now 10k miles old.  It is Mobil 1 5w-40, and the 5k
oil analysis showed only 0.4% soot.  I sent in the 10k sample last week, should
have results shortly.  All previous oil samples were negative for glycol
(coolant) and wear metals are pretty normal in my opinion.

This past January the noise came back with a vengeance after I drove the car to
Baltimore, and then car sat in a freezing parking lot for a couple of weeks.  I
drove the car home, and since then I've only driven it a few times, but the
noise is almost constant.  Now it will sometimes be reduced when the engine is
cold, but once the car warms up it comes right back.

So here's my plan.

1) Warm up the engine and then pull the valve cover and test the lifters again
using the book method.  If any fail the test, replace them.  Inspect the
camshaft lobes for wear.

2) Change the oil.

3) Replace the lifters for #2 and #3 on principle (they're noisy).

4) Pull the head and replace the head gasket, assuming a failure at the oil
passage between #1 cylinder and timing chain case, allowing oil to flow into
the
timing chain area and back the sump, which reduces the oil pressure to the head
and causes the noise.  I like this option least, because I fear finding cracks
in the (number 14) head and I'm worried that if I put a cracked head back on,
the cracks will worsen and I'll start burning coolant or mixing oil and
coolant.  Right now the upper radiator hose has normal pressure after resting
overnight, and the engine oil analysis looks good, so I don't think I have
problems with cracks in the head right now.

Thanks for reading through all this!

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon