Max Dillon wrote:
My understanding is that Mercedes of the 123 and earlier era had 4th gear as 1:1, so fifth gear is overdrive. I don't know if that practice followed into 201 and later cars, but I can tell you that my 190D with five speed did not seem to me to be at a high engine RPM at highway speed.

All the W201 manual trans have mild OD, like .79 or .82 to one, except the 16v is 1:1 with that odd racing shift pattern. I've heard of W123 5sp, but never actually seen one. Doesn't Euan have a 300TD 5sp? Has anybody heard from Euan since Christchurch got clobbered?

Mitch.