Cut and pasted from BANNED, as its a good discussion for this list:

So, my 450SLC 5.0 has the all-heat-all-the-time thing going on.  Everyone
once in a while the climate control works exactly as it should, but about
95% of the time its just heat.  I've been doing some diag, following the
processes in the manual...

Heres what I can gather about the system so far:

As far as vacuum issues go, if it doesn't work at all (except defrost) its
because you never get vacuum to the main vacuum switch to turn the system
on.  If you have enough vacuum to switch that switch (you don't need much),
then you consider if all the flappers work as you'd expect to see if they're
leaking by old-fashioned trouble shooting with a tester.
 They're controlled by a combination of what button you press and what
position the servo is in (based on temps).  When you really study the
diagrams for a while, its really not very complicated.  You've got normal
auto, a few overrides for bilevel, and the servo comes in to determine if
the center vent should open or not (heat on/off).  There are a few more
things that happen for AC, but this is really just overriding again to close
fresh air vent, etc.

Now, electrically, except for the vacuum switches, the system doesn't care
what is going on vacuum-wise.  From what I can see, control of
the temperature (heater valve) is only dependent on the sensor chain
and amplifier telling the servo what to do.  I don't see any connection
between a vacuum issue (leak) causing the servo to not respond
to temperature correctly, as long as there is enough vacuum to keep the main
switch closed.

Heres my situation:
Vacuum:
  -I have what appears to be low vacuum when running... 7-10 inches on the
test connection.  The line from the vacuum tank is supplying 20+ inches to
the push buttons, so thats no issue.
  -Vacuum falls off shortly after shutting off engine.  So there is a leak
somewhere, but its not obvious after checking a few lines.  They all seem to
be leaking?!
  -I think the leak might in the connections inside the servo... these
rubber lines are very loose fitting.  I'm going to try replacing them.

Electrical:
-If I connect power directly to the servo motor, it moves.  But, it seems
the amplifier is never sending power to the servo motor when needed.  It
never parks, or moves at all.
-I replaced the amp with a new (really new) one, and it didn't make any
difference.
-I checked the interior temp, exterior temp, and temp dial and all are
working correctly.

So, if my understanding is correct, the vacuum leaks
aren't necessarily good, but should effect the fact that the amp doesn't
move the servo.  So I have some issue with the electrical part of the servo
(like the feedback potentiometer), or I've got a bunch of bad amps.

Does this sound logical?!

Jaime