On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> I did find these,  http://www.mile-x.com/esco-10497-3-ton-jack-stand.aspx
>
> ESCO seems to be an Ohio based company, anyone familiar with them or
> these stands?  The tripod design would seem to be very stable.

I did a lot of searching for good jackstands about ten years ago, and
those Escos seemed to be about the best you could get.  At the time
they were made in the US.  I have four of them and two that I bought
more recently, which are made in China, supposedly to the same quality
standards.  (They look exactly like the domestic ones, for what that's
worth.)

Previously I had a set of Craftsman stands, the ratcheting kind where
all the weight in use rests on the tooth or pawl.  I started looking
for new ones when the pawl on one of the Craftsmans one day sheared
right off , instantly collapsing the stand to its lowest position.
Fortunately nobody was under the car and I hadn't yet taken the wheels
off.

Alex