I do not see how the ratcheting kind of jack stand
could _ever_ be released when it was under compression.
Mine sure won't!

I had one cheapie whose handle came loose from the pawl,
the roll pin broke.  I just repinned it.  The problem was
you couldn't release it, not that it was unsafe.

I don't trust the steel pinned stands any more than the
cast ratcheting ones, the steel is usually a bit thin
and I've seen the pin shearing its way through a tube.

The jack was removed from under the car?  I always leave
the jack there as a safety backup, unless there truly is
no way to do that and get the job done.  Tires are usually
under there too, and maybe even an anvil!

Leaving the jack there too would probably have saved his
life.  I do not blame the creeper, particularly.

-- Jim