you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

On 3/23/2011 10:58 PM, Larry T wrote:
Howdy Gang -
I picked up my '91 300D today following installation of a rebuilt AT I bought
from Rusty. So far it is a huge improvement - of course, going from not havong
reverse and some forward gears will do that ;-^

Rusty says he has sold thousands of these ATs with only 3 problems - 2 were
installer problems and one was fixed easily. Which gives me confidence in the
AT.

It shifts a little on the firm side but I suspect that's to be expected since
it's new and will become more fluid as it is broken in ((fingers crossed). This
is one area I have little to no experience in - breaking in a new AT.
Suggestions ?

Also, the engine doesn't seem as peppy as it was - like maybe the Turbo isn't
spooling up properly . Are there any specific problems that might cause this?
It started doing this before the AT died all the way - Tomorrow I'll check
filters and vacuum hoses ... initially I thought because the tranny was
slipping that that caused the slow feeling but that's no longer the case.

And I'm not sure if it's me or the control logic - but it seems to want to
shift too quickly - but not all of the time .. Is this because the AT is new?
Or does something need adjusting? Also, Is the vaccuum modulator adjustable?

One more thing - the switch that telecopes the steering column only clicks in
the rearward direction - it will not move the column at all forward. Does that
sound like the switch? Wiring? Motor?

Thanks to all -
Larry p

Let your engine tell you how healthy it is! Visit www.youroil.net For