I don't think a lift is necessarily safer than jackstands.  Cars have
been known to fall off lifts too.  Good jackstands, placed properly,
should be quite safe.  Certainly a real lift would make a lot of jobs
easier and faster though.... and less time under the car would I guess
be less risk.

Allan

--
1983 300D