This sounds very similar to the vibration I had in the '87 300SDL that I
traded to Kaleb a while back -- I didnt' do all that you did, but I never
could figure out what it was. My Indie at the time (may he rest in peace)
put it up on the rack, had his wife run it up through the vibration range
(65 MPH, IIRC), and couldn't find the source, though he could reproduce it.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin <ka...@striplin.net>wrote:

> The only  help I can offer is that to say this is a strange one for sure.
>  Maybe you should try a completely different driveshaft?
>

> On 3/28/2011 10:35 AM, Ralph Robertson wrote:
>
>> An update to my long story:  I have a vibration at certain speeds in my
>> '87
>> 300SDL.  The vehicle is in super condition, with about 130K miles.  This
>> is
>> what I have done thus far:
>> replace transmission output shaft bearing and seal.
>> replace drive shaft center carrier bearing.
>> replace both front and rear drive shaft flex discs.
>> replace differential mount.
>> remove and switch rear axles from left to right.
>> Had motor mounts and trans. mounts checked, but not replaced.  Apparently
>> they are all still good.
>> Had the drive shaft removed, checked out and balanced at a specialty shop
>> in
>> Atlanta, Ga.  It was out of balance slightly, and they added a weight to
>> correct this.
>> The vibration still is noticeable when under acceleration at about 25-30
>> MPH, then smooths out.  At about 45-50 it returns until about 58 MPH, then
>> again smooths out and is not noticeable.  At about 70-75mph, I can feel it
>> again returning slightly.  After having all the above done, the vibration
>> is
>> somewhat reduced and I assume the new rubbers are dampening the issue.
>> The strange thing is the weather seems to have an effect.  When the temp.
>> is
>> around 55F., I can feel this issue, but if it is above say 70 degrees F,
>> it
>> is practically unnoticeable, except for the higher speed vibration.
>> Except for replacing all the mounts, I am at a standstill!  Any ideas?
>> Thanks, Ralph - '87 300SDL
>>                         '84 300CD
>>

> --
>
> --