Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 Sway Bar Bushings?

John Peterson wrote:
Regarding my front end clunk on bumps at low speeds, someone suggested that I check / replace the front anti-sway bar bushings. Parts are cheap, $30, and it is DIY job. Does anyone think this could be the clunk (dealer says
new control arms and bushings but I doubt this at 74k) I am trying to get
rid of? Any way to test the anti-sway bushings? I found the rubber hard,
but not rock hard.  It is very hard to tell where front end sounds are
coming from

There seems to be a rush to condemn the ball joints now. I've NEVER
experienced "clunks on bumps at low speeds" when the ball joints were
bad (but if they are REALLY bad they could I suppose). That HAS been a
consistent presenting symptom with bad sway bar bushings. Bad ball
joints (as well as bad rear suspension links) do permit the front end to
seem "nervous" requiring a lot of attention when driving at highway
speeds. In my experience, ball joints outlast sway bar bushings by at
least 3:1. Control arm bushings and ball joints usually last AT LEAST
200kmi miles (and can last a lot longer if you drive 20+kmi a year).
Early sway bar bushings however, often failed after 4-6 years and even
the revised ones might not be expected to last more than 100-150kmi. I
have revised bushings on two cars, but they don't have even 75kmi on
them and that's true of MOST people that have replaced the bushings on 124s.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi