> Dieselhead wrote:

> May/June issue of the Star has an article about searching for
> the perfect Diesel.  It turned out to be a 123 300D  That is a
> hard to beat model, but I'd still pick an SDL as the best
> Diesel, with the 87 TD and 87 300D as contenders.

Heh.  That's so silly.

"Perfect" diesel - huh?

It depends on what I want it to do, my order of preferences
regarding features and functions, etc.

There is no one "perfect" car.

I really like the TD for the cargo capacity and the rear
suspension.  My wife prefers having a trunk to hide stuff in.

I like the manual HVAC controls, but like power windows (manual
is fine for the drivers door, but the others are hard to reach
from the drivers seat).  And a turbo.  And a manual transmission.

I would like the power and economy of a 603, but the durability
of a 617.

But there isn't a W123 that is big enough for my family.  A
wagon with the third seat has enough seats, but not enough room
for my collection on necessary travel accessories. (tool boxes,
spare parts, etc.)

And none of the passenger cars are of any real use for hauling
firewood, hay, gravel, cows, pigs, chickens, etc.

So what is the perfect diesel?  That's easy!!  It depends!

--    Philip