Ja,

You should be able to do it with the disk mgt MMC after installation. I have not done Winders 7 install, but prior versions, in the blue screen part of intallation allowed you to delete partitions, create partitions and tell winders where to install. (IE, D:\ ) and I see no reason why winders 7 would not allow that. However the OEM preinstall that comes on a box from a factory (dell) may NOT allow you to do this. Retail boxed OS, MSDN subscription, and corporate license versions will let you manage installation.

If you use the preinstalled "re-install" option, you generally don't get options, just whatever the OEM decided it wants to foist on you. (AOL and such garbage)

Tim C wrote:
In Disk Manager you should be able to pick arbitrary drive
assignments. (mmc, disk management)

After Winders is installed?
I've reassigned drive letters before, but never thought of doing it to the C: drive.
I just assumed that would be a bad idea.

You will still need to watch your installs, a lot of them are %Program
Files% which will be on your boot drive, regardless of name.  Actually
it's been a long time since I've seen a Windows installer that wasn't
a *nix conversion that used a fixed path name.

Good point. If I move %Program Files% and %Application Data% or %Program Data% in the registry I might accomplish most of what I want. I just want to set it up so that they can hit 'typical installation' and not trash my carefully set up SSD. %UserProfiles% has got to stay off the SSD too, I don't want crap left on the desktop to hit the SSD.