to recap:  Old computer died.  New computer running XP.  Is it XP Pro?
You took the hard drive out of the old computer, put it in a usb case, and plugged it into new computer.
New computer reports old drive as "unformatted."
Question is:  WHY?

Same unit plugged in to a Mac laptop shows up as a normal NT disk.

I don't have an answer yet.

Speaking of windows, I have a situation I need to resolve.

We had a computer crash after a power outage, either a bad PS or bad MOBO, I don't know which. Replaced the computer, which nastily enough had Windows 7 installed. The instrument tech downgraded to XP (this computer runs a liquid chromatagraphy workstation, using proprietary software that will not run under Windows 7).

I pulled the driver from the old computer when I got back from vacation, and stuffed it into my USB external enclosure, to find that the new computer reports it as unformated! It appears as a normal NT32 driver on my TiBook using the same adapter, so I'm going to copy the relevant files off to a DVD-RAM disk later in the week and hopefully move them onto the new machine.

My question is what in the ..... causes the new computer to not recognized a perfectly good drive? Is there something with Windows 7, downgraded or not to XP, or is it just a pile of excrement?

And for those that are not aware, on the Mac all you have to do to be in that nice comfortable Unix environment, Bourne shell and all, is start up the Terminal application in the Utilities folder. Nice command line Unix, at your fingertips.

Peter