If it is not the ground, then the OVP relay is the next suspect. Do you have another car with OVP you can swap? that is the easiest test. It is the way I like to test Klima relays too. Yeah, I know Nobody else's ever fail. But most of my cars with KLIMA relays have had KLIMAs that failed.

 > Jim Cathey wrote:

 > So I guess the '85 drives the tach some other way, 'cause it
 > was working last week.

 It is different, the tach amp is integrated into
 something-or-other. But I forget what, you'll have to look.
 (We don't have any '85 cars.) How's your overvoltage relay
 (?), and fuses?

Overvoltage relay?  I don't know...

Fuses...  *sigh*  Too many cars.  I'll have to go look at the
service records.  I don't remember if I changed them all in that
car or not.

I miss it more in the 240 with the manual transmission, but it
never had one, so I've been to lazy to retrofit.  The turbo and
automatic transmission needs it less - but I still like having it.

--     Philip