Alex Chamberlain wrote:

If the Tremec 6-speed that Mitch gave the stats for isn't a good fit
in terms of ratios for the OM617 turbo, I bet there are other manual
transmissions from RWD vehicles that came mated to engines with
similar power and torque to the 617, and are plentiful in junkyards.
Something from a small pickup, maybe?

I think a T56 would be OK if you mated it to a 3.49 240D diff in a W123, or a 3.27 2.3-16 diff in a 190D turbo or 1987 300D.

A T5 would be lighter at ~99lb, and I imagine a million of those get crushed and smelted every year.

For example, how about the tranny from a 1980s 2.5L Chevy Astro?
4.03    2.37    1.49    1.00    0.72

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm