On 28/05/2011 8:59 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:
I believe the recorders indicated repeated stalls as the plane descended, and ti was slighly nose down on impact. Probably not complete data yet, anyway.

The biggest problem, I think, is that these planes fly themselves, the pilots are just along for the ride much of the time, with the result that they are out of practice at the worst possible time. Manual flying burns more fuel, I'd guess, so is discouraged.

I'm sure there are some lessons in this event if the people in charge are wise enough to look for them.

Peter

Bear in mind, that the bean counteres are thinking of a scenario where there will be no pilots, and pushing the design in that direction. Cheaper not to have to pay employees etc.

Also, the actuaries have no doubt calculated the risk and are prepared to accept some losses as being unavoidable.

Randy