Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:49:10 -0400
From: Tim C <bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] Breaking up is hard to do...

The other day, I thought how great it would be to put a lighter
(excuse me, power socket) in the HVAC control unit of the SDL. I cut
out a hole, put in the lighter, snapped in the interconnects to the
hazard light. Put it into the console. Plugged in a thing, it
powered up.

Next day, I plugged the thing in again, and it was tight so I jiggled
it in a little... and the radio went off. Obvious fuse, windows and
blower motor still work so it is just a nice quiet ride. When I get
to work I pull out control panel, realize there is a big metal bracket
behind my lighter, and it must have grounded out. Put on a shielded
connector, so the problem is solved; remind self to buy more red fuses
from Rusty when I place my next order (which will be soon anyway).

Next day, replace fuse for radio and drive to work. Radio and hazard
light are good, but now windows [not sunroof] are dead. That
afternoon I replace the window etc. power fuse. On the way home it
seems everything works: wipers, radio, seat settings, lighter, etc.
Happy driver me.

Then I open my door, and the radio comes on, along with the SRS light.
I close the door. It turns off. I open the door and turn off the
radio. A second later the SRS light goes off. If I have the radio on
when I open the door, the SRS light turns on, and stays on as long as
the radio is on; if I do not, it does not. Aside from SRS and the
radio [and antenna going up and down with radio power] I can't tell
anything different than it used to be.

Thus I was introduced to my gremlin. Now, how do I make him go away?
Did I fry a ground? The radio? The ignition switch? Will it do any
damage, as long as I unplug power to the antenna?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Tim
who is considering leaving it as a deterrent to the random folks who
rifle my car at night