Tim,
I'm glad you're not mad at me. I guess I've been lucky with my old MBs. I've
found two sets of Indies that have worked on my cars and they will install my
parts when I ask. Both sets worked for the local MB dealerships here in the
Atlanta area before opening their own shops and more importantly, both sets are
older so they know my old MBs (617s). When I was first looking for an Indie, I
would take one of my cars to their shop (had to be a small shop too) and let
them do an oil service. I would watch how they checked the rest of the car and
then listen as they told me what I might want to have fixed in the near future,
etc. I passed on a couple because they just ran through the oil service, did a
very brief look at the rest of the car, and gave no suggestions for things to
keep an eye on or consider bringing back for repair. I don't go to the
dealerships here in the Atlanta area as they no longer have any older mechanics
that know how to work on the old 617s. The last time my wife took her 80 300SD
to the dealership (about 5 yrs ago), it almost stopped the whole shop as almost
all of the mechanics came over to take a look at the engine, etc. as they never
see one.
Sometimes we just have to do some deep investigation of our own before turning
our vehicles over to someone for work. Fortunately, my 2001 Dodge Ram hasn't
needed anything except oil changes (which I do) since I purchased it used 7
yrs. ago. Now, if I could just get that 5.9 to give me some decent gas mileage.
Best Wishes,
Roger Hale
Monroe, Ga.