On this motor home deal wife wanting to go to Maine to visit family. Flights WAY too high right now so I told her only chance was cross country drive in the car. Then I got to thinking about just getting a RV of some sort. With a trailer we would just all ride in the pickup stopping overnight, if it was a motor home, it would probably be more comfortable. Then I did the math driving this 454 mh assuming 7mpg, and its close to 2k in fuel just to drive there and back. So I think that rules that out, I might as well fly. Only chance on a mh would be to find a diesel one. maybe even a class c that would probably get better mileage. This would would be fine though for smaller local trips I guess.

On 6/24/2011 7:16 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
For anywhere from the 8-10k range I have seen early 90s like 90-92 or so about the same size with cummins diesels in them. I would think that would get much better mileage.

On 6/23/2011 9:23 PM, drcscru...@aol.com wrote:
I had a 31 foot 454 holiday rambler motorhome with the turbo 400 transmission. It got about 7-9 miles per gallon. It really depends on how fast you drive it. If you drive about 55 it will get better mileage than if you drive 65-70 (as I did often). I had very little problem with the 454. I did change out the brakes and rotors on it and the parts were cheap. The parts are pretty much one ton chevrolet truck parts. The air conditioner never worked very well so, you need a generator to make sure your roof air conditioners work. I think 2 AC's are best (for southern climes). I do recommend that you have a gasoline generator vs a propane generator. It is a pain to have to do both propane and gasoline at the stops. I would definately check out the engine/trans with someone as the cost to exchange those out equal the cost of the motorhome. I presently have a diesel and love it, but I did pay more than 5k for it. For 5K you can have a lot of fun if you don't have costly mechanical problems. I will say the 454 was a good runner.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaleb C. Striplin<ka...@striplin.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2011 3:28 pm
Subject: [MBZ] Ot motorhomes

Anybody know anything about rvs, travel trailers etc? One of my dealers got a 94 32? Ft winabago in on trade, can buy for 5k. Has a 454 gasser in it. Wonder what kind of mileage it would get? I don't even know how to turn on the power to the thing. Engine starts right up and runs great. Seems fancy for the year.

Sent from my iPhone

-----
No virus found in this message.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 99 E430, 99 E320. 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 500SEL,
 92 300SD, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 90 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2,
 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D