If you have a router, pick up a hinge guide for it. The hinge guide I have
is door length and will accept 3 or 4 hinge template guides [depending on
your choice of hinge layout].

With it, I set the door in the opening, shim the bottom clearance [or cut
the door to length, then shim bottom clearance] pencil mark the existing
hinge location [if it's a replacement door into an existing frame].  Then
clamp the handy dandy hinge guide in place and set/locate the individual
hinge template guides to their respective locations.  With the router set to
depth and the right kind of bit, it takes only seconds per hinge location to
make perfect hinges.  Well worth the investment.

This guide came from Home Depot because they were handy and I was in a
hurry, but I'm there are sure better / cheaper deals can be found.  It also
works on casements if you  are making full replacements and there are
template cutout guides for entry door thickness as well as interior door
thickness. A feature you might want to keep in mind.

Another handy tool to have is a little drill guide that has a taper that
just fits the screw hole in the hinge plate. It lets you predrill the hinge
screw holes and makes hinge mounting easy, clean, and most importantly tight
and accurate.  Again, well worth the investment. No crooked screws that
later fail the door mount.

Enjoy your new life as a carpenter,  after the first two or so, it stops
being a PIA and becomes welllllll work...
Grant...
AZ