> ...I was under the impression that ZDDP is important only with solid
> lifters which is why (considering the relatively small number of solid lifter
> cars in full service) the oil makers were willing to pull it out...

Not solid lifter.

Flat tappet engines. My Porsche 944 is a flat tappet engine with hydraulic
lifters and M1 15/50 still has the required amount of ZDDP for that engine
and for that reason I stopped using M1 0W40 in it. All aircooled Porsches are
flat tappet engines, also.

My C300's M272 engine is OK with 0W40 or 5/40 M1 and I'm using 0W40 because
of availability.

RLE