it will drain when you open the (rear) bleeders. It is set up to hold fluid as long as possible for the front brakes, as they do 70-80% of the stopping. In theory that is meant to get you safely to someplace for fluid/repairs when the rear brakes fail.

so, the front section fill first, then the rear section will fill.

You can flush out some of the black stuff by flushing with DOT4 fluid.

It is also a good time to consider a switch to DOT5. Keep in mind that DOT4 and DOT 5 don't mix. If you switch, you need to flush with DOT 5, and that takes most of a quart to flush until no more DOT4 (or Dot 3) comes out.

Looking at the brake fluid resovoir on the 83 300D. It is a Girling. I've suctioned all the fluid out from under the cap but the front section is seperate and still full of fluid. Starting to take off the front calipers to rebuild them when my Rusty parts get here.

How do I get the fluid out of that sectiion? It looks dark like old fluid. I expect it will drain out when the calipers are removed, but don't know how I will get fluid back it in. Doesn't look like any connection to the rear compartment. I don't remember seeing one like this before.

Alan Duff
Knoxville, TN