> Michael Canfield wrote:

> I am assuming that I killed the shaft and
> bearings because the car was riding so low and grossly
> overloaded on my 900 mile trip to Detroit and back.

I doubt that had any effect on the axle shaft.  It carries no
load.  And if "overloading" the car caused shaft failure, I
would have chronic shaft failure problems and I don't.

> I think I am going to consider swapping out a sls rear from a TD so it
> hauls better.  I have all of the parts, I wonder if they are
> any good.

It should be possible, with a bit of work.  Cylinder head with
pump, tank, pipes, suspension valve, accumulators (spheres),
shocks.  Some fabrication will be needed, but nothing major.

> I might even swap the rear to 85 gears while I
> am at it and see if it runs out better on the highway.

I don't like the long-legged gearing on my 85.  The engine is
running too slow at low highway speeds. (Best I can remember.
The tach is still dead....)  The turbo isn't really working much
at 55-60 mph.

--    Philip