> > Luther wrote:
> >
> > Bach was alive during the transition from Meantone to Equal
> > temperament

Not really.  The mathematically sound equal temperament didn't
show up until about 1910.  Bach _was_ writing music as
temperaments other than meantone were being discovered.

> Greg Fiorentino wrote:
>
> More than that, he wrote The Well-Tempered Clavier to
> demonstrate that a tempered instrument could play music in any
> key.

There I have to disagree.  The Well-Tempered Clavier
demonstrates the unique characteristics of each of the various
key signatures because of a well tempered scale - _not_ an equal
tempered scale.

An equal-tempered scale is soulless.  All keys sound equally
poor.

I know of about 8 different _categories_ of temperaments.  In
each there can be quite a few variations.

--   Philip