Marshall, or someone else, posited that they defective #14 heads have all
failed and been replaced by now. While not absolute, and overheating will
still crack good heads, I think there might be some merit to that statement.
The '87 SDL I had still had the original head at 200,000 miles and showed no
signs of being cracked.
A hard upper radiator hose on a cold engine is one possible indication of a
crackede head, though not the only one.
Bottom line, if I didn't see signs of a cracked head, I would not be afraid
of the car.

--
OK Don
2001 ML320