Evaporator failures ran 15-30%, I believe (two out of three at our house), probably due to the use of copper pipes swagged onto aluminum cores. They crack at the junctions between the pipes and core as a general rule, although other failures are possible.

The new ones are all aluminum, wonder of wonders, and don't crack that I know of.

BIG job -- not really difficult, but very fiddlesome (dash has to come out completely) and very time consuming. Book time per MB is 16 hours, so the first one is more likely 20 for the average DIY type. Took me three days.

Peter