Ralph Robertson wrote:
I have about 150K miles on my 87 300SDL and am wondering at what mileage,  I
should be planning on changing the timing chain.  It is running well, except
for first starts when I get a rough running for about 8 sec. with blue smoke
accompanying the rough running.  Smooths out quickly and runs fine.

I don't think there were any defective chains in 1987 models, so you should be OK for quite some time. If you set the crank to top dead center (always going clockwise, roll it over again if you go too far), you can remove the valve cover and see if the timing marks line up on the cam. If the cam timing is retarded, roll the engine forward slowly until the cam is at TDC, and then read the chain stretch on the timing marks at the crank. If it hasn't stretched 3-4 degrees yet, don't worry about it.

Mitch.