What are warning signs for a worn-about-to-snap timing chain on a 1983 or '85
W123 turbodiesel?

Andrew (300TD x 2)

-----Original Message-----
From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 07:45:31
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300 sdl timing chain,

Ralph Robertson <rare...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have about 150K miles on my 87 300SDL and am wondering at what mileage,  I
> should be planning on changing the timing chain.  It is running well, except
> for first starts when I get a rough running for about 8 sec. with blue smoke
> accompanying the rough running.  Smooths out quickly and runs fine.

If the oil changes haven't been overextended, it's unlikely IMO that the
chain would be in need of replacement at only 150K miles.  Use of a
diesel-rated synthetic such as M1 "Turbo Diesel Truck" a/k/a Delvac-1
should reduce chain wear/stretch to nearly negligible.  Check it as
Mitch described if you want to put your mind at ease.

The rough starts could be due to a bad glow plug or two... is your dash
glow lamp working properly?  This will only get worse as the fall/winter
arrives and temps start to drop.

Allan
--
1983 300D