Today I heard the onset of a very prominent whining noise in my 300TD that
gets louder under  load.  Seems to come from the rear but not 100 percent
certain.  It gets VERY loud going  up hills, accompanied by an ominous
grinding sound under load while driving uphill.  The whining varies in pitch
that roughly matches engine/car speed.  We made it home OK but I am really
spooked and unwilling to drive it again without a consensus diagnosis from
the network of experts out there.  SWMBO thinks it's the differential - does
this jive with the symptoms?  Rear axle?  Driveshaft?  U joint bearing??
 Gear in the transmission (although the shifting is smooth with no flaring
or slipping).  I should also add that all fluid levels are normal and the
transmission fluid is red and clean, not burnt.

Andrew
1983 and 1985 300TDs