By the time you buy the required power supply, you will find that you can buy a power supply in a case cheaper in most cases. Nothing stopping you from buying the new barebones with a case, then taking out the PS and throw away the new case.

There are lots of places to buy components. Some price "barebones" systems. Many of the tigerdierct barebones systems are a set of components for a complete computer, less OS. I had trouble 10 years ago with a computer bought tiger. The only way it ever got resolved was when I made the CC Company do a chargeback. Never got a working computer from them, but did get the money back. I am less afraid to buy barebones or components from them. Tiger does email out some good deals on barebones kits.

Newegg and OWC have better customer service.

is tiger direct the best place these days to get a bare bone? I have always build my own computers but this last time I just bought this cheap emachine deal. I have the system less the hard drive from my system before, its a big server type case but I suppose I could put a new board in it and use that system. Only thing though is I am not sure the power supply has the proper connection for those new style (sata?) hard drives.