Do you have a digital sound recorder, or a laptop with a microphone in it?
Record it, play it back at reduced speed, and count the compression strokes. Chugs per second x 20 = rpm on a four stroke six cylinder.
100rpm would be 5 chugs per second.

Mitch.

Alex Chamberlain wrote:
- Peter suggested a dying starter that isn't turning quite fast
enough.  The car sounds like it is cranking at the usual speed, but I
could be deceived, I guess.  What's a good way to tell if the starter
is healthy, other than dropping $250 on a new one?  Could I use a
non-contact tachometer on one of the pulleys while cranking?  Harbor
freight has one for $30: