7 per second * 60 seconds = 420 per minute.

Max

Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:
> Do you have a digital sound recorder, or a laptop with a microphone in it?
> Record it, play it back at reduced speed, and count the compression strokes.
> Chugs per second x 20 = rpm on a four stroke six cylinder.
> 100rpm would be 5 chugs per second.

Brilliant! I just recorded it on my cell phone, loaded the sound file
into Audacity, and counted the peaks. I'm getting seven chugs per
second at the start of the cranking operation; after about fifteen
seconds of steady cranking it drops rapidly to four. Good battery and
starter, then?

Alex