Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:39:34 -0700
From: Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 603 filter change, cranking forever

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whoa whoa whoa... lets just take a step back now and look at whats going on
> here.
> This was a running car before the filter change, right?
> Now, with a new filter, it doesn't run any more.

It was running a year ago. Loren's right that I should've tried to
start it before changing the filters, but no use crying over spilt
diesel. The basic facts are that it "ran fine when parked" as the
expression goes, I changed the filters, put in a new battery, and now
it won't start.

Sounds like the leading theories are:

- Bad or not fully charged battery---It's new, and I'll leave it on
the charger for two days before I try again.

- GPs not getting power---easy check.

- Not cranking long enough---I tried cranking for longer than 15
seconds. The engine slowed down at around 20 seconds, but then
started catching periodically just like it has been before (firing two
or three times and then just cranking). At about 30 seconds I quit
because there was the unmistakable smell of overheated wiring coming
from the driver's side of the engine near the firewall---isn't that
where the starter is? If I try again with a battery that is fully
charged, and the starter still slows down noticeably after 15 seconds,
then does that definitively mean the starter is failing (increased
current draw as it heats up)?

- Air leaks, meaning no fuel delivery to injectors despite seeing fuel
at the return line on the filter and at the hard lines when either is
loosened---I can smell the exhaust after cranking a while, but it
really doesn't smoke to speak of, although I find unburned diesel
smoke is harder to see on a warm clear day. I will take out the fuel
filter center bolt and make sure that the o-rings are where they
should be, and also check for air leaks elsewhere.

Could airflow be obstructed on the exhaust side? I don't know how I
would begin to check for that beyond sticking a wire or something up
the tailpipe to dislodge wasp or mouse nests.

Alex