On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:
>> It's been on the Battery Tender for 24 hours now and the red light is
>> still on, indicating it's not anywhere near a full charge.
>
> "Battery Tender"?  You want something more analogous to SNL's
> "Colon Blow" cereal, a real battery _charger_.  I use a 25yo
> 2A/10A Schauer, overnight will always do it.  The tenders are
> for when in storage.

Dunno, but the Battery Tender company claims their chargers will do
everything but slice bread, and I've had good luck with them reviving
batteries before, not just keeping them topped off.

The other charger I have, the Schumacher, is a big heavy thing about
the size of a portable typewriter, with 2A "slow charge", 12A "fast
charge", and 75A "jump start" settings.  I don't know if maybe I'm
just not leaving it on long enough, but it doesn't seem to be able to
charge a flat battery nearly as well as the little Battery Tender.  On
the 75A setting it does do well to start a car where the battery is
just a little too low, like when SWMBO leaves her lights on all night
in the winter (not that that's ever happened).

Alex