I wouldn't go too far with electrical detail, if it's a new battery of
proper size I would think it will be obvious - starter wire to chassis or
the like.  I would bet you can feel a hot wire, then figure out where it's
shorting.

Another possibility - I had a bad battery connection in my Volvo, it was
enough for low currents but would barely conduct at high.  Messing around
with the battery cables caused it to start, eventually I pulled back the
insulation and the wire fell in half with just a few stands remaining.  Only
real clue was that the wire was easy to bend at a certain point.  A clue
might be if the battery was at a pretty high voltage after a marathon
starting session.

Best,
-Tim