Peter wrote: "I've heard that GM finally learned not to make cars form junkyard
parts, but I'll believe it when I see one 25 years old with 300,000
miles on it working well with minimal mechanicing, like my Benz."

I had just under 300,000 miles on my 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 when I sold it in
1999.  So, that's 15 years.  I suspect, if you wait until 2013, you will find
1988 model Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Chevy's, and Buicks that have 300,000 miles,
are 25 years old and work well.  1988 was a watershed year for GM because of
the 3800 engine.  GM cars begin to improve dramatically starting in 1988 and
continuing through the 1990's.

Donald H. Snook