BioDiesel, B100 or B99, works well. Use it with the scotch brite or the steel wool replacement pads similar to scotch brite. wipe it off when done with the elbow grease. Then recoat with BioD, light oil, beeswax, a combination, or similar.

For commercial products, the Mopar penetrating oil will eat rust. It goes on as a gray foam. Let it soak 8-24 hours, and reapply as needed. This can cut the elbow grease requirements. You need to be aware that it does contain water also. The water evaporates on open surfaces, but can cause problems in enclosed areas like engine cylinders if used to free stuck cylinders. In that case, you want to either start the engine and run it after 24 hours, or turn it over to blow out the penetrating oil and recoat with non-detergent or diff lube.

For the post and quill, 1" wide emory cloth works well. It won't take off any significant amount of metal.

I have used baked veg oil for unpainted machined surfaces. Veg oil will polymerize over time. By coating with veg oil (soy oil, canola, etc.) then baking at 250 to 300 degrees for an hours until the coating is not sticky to touch. The process can be repeated for a thicker coating. Best done when SWMBO is gone for the day. This produces a durable surface that is not sticky. It is good for the drill base plate, post, quill, etc. It is essentially the same as seasoning a skillet. The higher the temp, (up to 450 or so), the faster it polymerizes. If part of the item is painted, then keep the temp below 300 to keep from smoking the paint.

I figure that I'm not the only one here who prefers older tools, and will take the time to spruce them up. If that's the case, I'm wondering if anyone could give a few pointers on cleaning them up. (Not necessarily Concours grade cleanup)

I'm picking up an older (american made) Rockwell/delta drill press (15" VS, peace logo on blue background era) which is in pretty decent shape mechanically, but it has accumulated surface rust and schmutz on the non-moving machined surfaces (the column and the machined top surface of the base)

Any suggestions on how to remove this?
I was thinking of lightly using a scotch-brite wheel and some WD40, following the direction of machining with the rotation of the wheel.

Eventually, I'd like to disassemble it and repaint it. Any suggestions on decent enamels? (I don't need exact color matches, although finding "stock" colors that are close would be nice!)

Once it's all cleaned up, what's a good way to ensure that t stays rust-free? I'd think that a light coating of butchers or johnson's would work better than oil, since oil will get gummy, etc.

--
John W Reames
jream...@verizon.net