I have put the word out to the head AV guy in our school district that I want to re-create a vintage stereo system for my new house.  I don't have any

How vintage?  Tube or solid state?  Varies a lot.

do an LED conversion on the Marantz to get rid of the lamps.

Why?  I prefer the warm glow of incandescents, and the way
they're usually run for panel lighting they last a _long_ time.

Anyone here know anything about B&O, other than it's pricey?

I always thought of them as style over substance.  But as
they're very _high_ style, their lesser substance might still
be quite good, or not; I don't really know.

Personally it would not be my first choice.  There's no doubt in
my mind that the high-end stuff of the 80's (when I was doing my
shopping) was stellar, and that if maintained/reconditioned would
satisfy any functional need I might have.  (I still have my NAD
gear, but it's rarely powered on these days.)

My first stereo was Hitachi gear, and I slowly upgraded most of
it over time.  The amp got upgraded to NAD early when the EPI A70
speakers were upgraded to DCM Time Frames, an excellent bang for
the buck whose only flaw was limited bass, which a subwoofer
(originally used with the A70's) corrects nicely.  The subwoofer
is operated by my bought-new Richter Scale active crossover, and
a half-dead 100W power amp I bought from a roommate.  (Didn't need
both channels, got it cheap.)  Later at the thrift shop I found
the Nakamichi tape deck, and a matching NAD tuner.  The
still-working $850 Kyocera CD player was retired in favor
of a Sony rotary CD changer.

The garage system, and the one in the music room, are old Luxman
receivers.   The home theater system is more DCM Time Frames,
and DCM bookshelf speakers for sides.  All driven by a Sony AV
receiver.  (Seems I have a lot of Sony.  Not my first choice,
but the AV receiver was free.)

-- Jim