Craig.....

Columbine II and Columbine III were Connies..... Truman had a DC-6 called "Independence" and I think Ike used it, renaming it Columbine I until the Connie came on line........ See both items below.

Take care,

Chuck

"C-121E--A single VC-121E, 53-7885 was modified on the production line from a Navy R7V1 to be used as a special VIP plane. It was used by Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy. When the president was on board, it was called Air Force One. Ike named the plane Columbine III after the state flower of Colorado. While in the army, Eisenhower had two other Connies as personal transports, all named Columbine. Columbine III is at Air Force Museum and Columbine II is in Tucson AZ. and still may be flying. (C-121A 48-0614) Gen. Macarthur had a personal plane named Battan. (48-0613--N422NA) It is preserved in flying condition at Planes of Fame Museum. "

From a book titled "Air Force One"....
"Truman was the first to fly routinely (his DC-6 was called Independence), and those who liked Ike will remember his Columbines I and II. It was during Eisenhower's presidency that the plane became known as Air Force One.